Friday, December 19, 2008

Starting Out

The theory is that with digital technology, you can transplant your life and work any place in the world where high-speed Internet access is available. The reality? I’m about to find out.

My partner and I leave for Sicily in 21 days. We’ll be living in and “teleworking” from
Siracusa (Syracuse) for three months. (It won’t be hot but it will be warmer than London, Canada where we live – and where it’s blizzarding today!)

I can do this because I’m a freelance journalist. I’m already an all-digital, Net-centric worker. I conduct phone interviews using a VoIP (voice over Internet) service, do secondary research on the Web, write – of course – on a computer, file stories and correspond with sources and customers by e-mail.

I also happen to specialize in writing about technology so I know the tools I’ll need to enable this kind of extreme teleworking, I know how they work and I know where to find them.

But I’m not that special a case. In theory, anyone who does all or most of their work at a computer and uses the Internet and a telephone to communicate and collaborate with co-workers could do it too. As long as they’re self-employed or have a very understanding and forward-thinking boss.


So come on along. I’ll be blogging here about preparations – and then our experience living virtually in sunny Sicilia. And no, it won't be just about the technology.

No comments: