Friday, January 23, 2009

Kayak polo anyone?

I'm starting to fall in love with the little Flip Video Ultra digital camcorder I have on loan from Pure Digital Technologies Inc.

Tonight, the VP Finance and I walked over to the train station in new Syracuse to buy tickets for a Sunday outing. (We're in Ortygia, the old - as in, medieval - town, on an island joined to the rest of the city by three bridges.) As usual, I tucked the Flip camera in my jacket pocket as we left.

We had earlier noticed a net, that looked as if it was for some game, on a little raft thingy floating in the harbour near the main bridge where some of the fishing boats moor. Tonight as we approached, I saw a ball float up into the air over the bridge parapet, and when we got close enough we found them playing a game. We're not sure what to call it. Kayak polo?

I shot some of the action using the Flip camera. So take a look. Has anybody ever heard of this game? Or is it a uniquely Italian or even Sicilian thing?


What is it the one guy is shouting? Sounds like 'Pepperoni!' Somebody's nickname, maybe.

So. Another Friday night here in Siracusa. I'm blogging and the VP Finance is sitting across the room watching Grey's Anatomy on her laptop. (We used Slingbox - see earlier post - to set up a recording of the show on our PVR back home. Now she's streaming that recording over the Net to her laptop.) Omigod, we're livin' la dolce vita digitale here in Italy! Aren't we exciting?

No comments: